Supreme Court Delivers a Landmark Decision That Rocks Liberals in Washington

SCOTUS Rules Trump Admin Can Continue Mass Layoffs At Education Dept.

On Monday, the Supreme Court granted President Donald Trump another significant victory, approving mass layoffs at the Department of Education and enabling the administration to proceed with its plans to reestablish state control over schools.

In a brief, unsigned order, the justices paused a lower court ruling that had blocked Trump’s plan indefinitely. That lower court decision is now on hold while the case plays out—meaning the layoffs can begin immediately,” CNN reported.

Within hours, the Department of Education dispatched termination notices to employees who had faced layoffs in April, only to have a judge reinstate them. CNN obtained one of the emails, which told employees they would officially be out of a job on August 1.

“The Department appreciates your service and recognizes the difficulty of the moment,” the notice read. “This RIF action is not a reflection upon your performance or conduct and is solely due to agency restructuring, as described in previous correspondence.” A copy of the Supreme Court’s order was attached.

The left wing of the court wasn’t happy. Justice Sonia Sotomayor issued a fiery dissent, calling the ruling “indefensible” and claiming the majority was either “willfully blind” or “naive” to what she saw as a grave threat to the separation of powers. The other two liberal justices joined her.

Trump ordered the layoffs earlier this year, slashing the department’s workforce by 50 percent. But Biden-appointed Judge Myong Joun blocked the move, ruling the agency can’t be dismantled without Congress. That ruling came in response to a lawsuit from teachers’ unions and left-leaning education groups.

The 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals refused to overturn Joun’s ruling in June, so Trump took the case to the Supreme Court—and won.

The president praised the court’s decision on Truth Social.

“The United States Supreme Court has handed a Major Victory to Parents and Students across the Country, by declaring the Trump Administration may proceed on returning the functions of the Department of Education BACK TO THE STATES,” Trump wrote. “Now, with this GREAT Supreme Court Decision, our Secretary of Education, Linda McMahon, may begin this very important process.”

McMahon called the ruling a “significant win for students and families.”

“Today, the Supreme Court again confirmed the obvious: the President of the United States, as the head of the Executive Branch, has the ultimate authority to make decisions about staffing levels, administrative organization, and day-to-day operations of federal agencies,” she said.

McMahon added that while it was unfortunate the Supreme Court had to get involved, the department will now get back to work fulfilling its mission.

“We will carry out the reduction in force to promote efficiency and accountability and to ensure resources are directed where they matter most – to students, parents, and teachers,” she said. “As we return education to the states, this Administration will continue to perform all statutory duties while empowering families and teachers by reducing education bureaucracy.”

Judge Joun’s original ruling accused the Trump administration of trying to gut the department without authorization, writing that the planned layoffs would “likely cripple” it. He ordered the reinstatement of 1,400 employees who had been terminated.

Sotomayor echoed that same concern, accusing the administration of ignoring its legal responsibilities and trying to shut down the agency without waiting for Congress.

“Rather than wait for legislative action to begin shuttering the Department, McMahon slashed the agency’s work force in half, concededly without analyzing the effect of those terminations on the Department’s statutorily mandated functions,” Sotomayor wrote.

She claimed the court’s ruling would “unleash untold harm” by stripping away federal protections for students facing discrimination or civil rights violations.

“The majority apparently deems it more important to free the Government from paying employees it had no right to fire than to avert these very real harms while the litigation continues,” she wrote.

Related Posts

The Medical Mystery That Left Three Doctors Speechless

In the quiet, wood-paneled waiting room of a prestigious medical clinic, an eighty-year-old woman sat with a posture that suggested a lifetime of unwavering dignity. Despite her…

The search for Raisa ends, after 2 months she was found all… See more

The pain of losing an entire family caused commotion among the population of Sidrolândia, located in the interior of the state of Mato Grosso do Sul, where…

HEARTBREAK AS FAMILY REVEALS THE DEVASTATING TRUTH BEHIND THE SUDDEN LOSS OF THEIR BEAUTIFUL 20 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER WHOSE RADIANT LIFE WAS CUT SHORT BY A SHOCKING UNEXPECTED ILLNESS

The world has become a significantly darker place this week as a family shares the devastating news that their beloved daughter has passed away at just 20…

‘Star Wars’ Star Passes Away at 84 Following Prolonged Illness

Richard Donat, the respected Canadian actor whose career spanned theatre, film, television, and voice work, has passed away at the age of 84 following a lengthy illness….

BREAKING: The Fire That Shouldn’t Exist

Just hours ago, a tremendous fire broke out in the heart of the city’s historic district—a place known more for quiet cafés and cobblestone streets than chaos….

THE TRAGIC LOSS OF A HOLLYWOOD ICON VALERIE PERRINE DIES AT 82 AFTER A HEARTBREAKING BRAVE BATTLE WITH PARKINSONS DISEASE LEAVING BEHIND A LEGACY OF GLAMOUR AND GRIT

The world of cinema feels a little dimmer today as news spreads that Valerie Perrine—the fearless actress and former Las Vegas showgirl who captivated audiences for decades—has…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *