FEMA Boss Fired After Remarks To Congress

On his way out the door, the now-fired acting head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency defended its inadequate Biden-era disaster responses while taking some verbal jabs at the Trump administration.

Cameron Hamilton was called to the Department of Homeland Security headquarters in Washington, D.C., where he was dismissed by Deputy Homeland Security Secretary Troy Edgar and Corey Lewandowski, a senior adviser to President Donald Trump, Politico reported, according to a source with direct knowledge of the matter.

The dismissal came just one day after Hamilton testified before a House Appropriations subcommittee, during which he appeared to contradict recent statements by Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem regarding the possible elimination of FEMA and shifting funding for the agency to state-level emergency management, a move that Trump has been openly considering.

“I do not believe it is in the best interests of the American people to eliminate the Federal Emergency Management Agency,” Hamilton said at the hearing on Wednesday.

FEMA’s press office confirmed Hamilton’s dismissal, Politico said.

“Effective today, David Richardson is now serving as the Senior Official Performing the duties of the FEMA Administrator,” a spokesperson said in an email while referencing the assistant secretary for the Department of Homeland Security’s Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction Office. “Cameron Hamilton is no longer serving in this capacity.”

Hamilton, a former Navy SEAL, contemplated resigning about two months ago as the new Trump administration was taking shape, until FEMA staff urged him to remain, Politico said, quoting an anonymous source.

Shortly after taking office, Trump’s DHS fired four FEMA officials for an “egregious” payment to illegal immigrants.

DHS officials told Fox News that “four employees are being fired today for circumventing leadership and unilaterally making the egregious payment for hotels for migrants in New York City.”

The firings come after Elon Musk wrote on X that “The DOGE team discovered that the agency sent “$59M LAST WEEK to luxury hotels in New York City to house illegal migrants.”

“That money is meant for American disaster relief and instead is being spent on high-end hotels for illegals. A clawback demand will be made today to recoup those funds,” Musk posted on X.

The finding came weeks after Trump announced plans to reform FEMA during a visit to North Carolina as many residents there continued their recovery from Hurricane Helene, which struck the state last fall.

“I’ll also be signing an executive order to begin the process of fundamentally reforming and overhauling FEMA, or maybe getting rid of FEMA,” Trump told reporters Friday morning during his visit. “I think, frankly, FEMA is not good.”

Trump also pledged that his administration would provide assistance to North Carolina to help repair the damage swiftly, assuring the state that he would “do a good job” in the recovery efforts.

“We’re going to fix it, and we’re going to fix it as fast as you can,” Trump said. “It’s a massive amount of damage. FEMA has really let us down. Let the country down. And I don’t know if that’s Biden’s fault or whose fault it is, but we’re going to take over. We’re going to do a good job.”

Trump also expressed a desire to see states take on more responsibility when disasters occur, arguing that local officials are better equipped to respond to and manage relief efforts. He promised to collaborate with three lawmakers from areas impacted by Hurricane Helene, criticizing FEMA for being “not on the ball” in aiding North Carolina’s recovery after the hurricane.

“So we’re going to be doing something on FEMA that I think most people agree [with],” Trump said. “I’d like to see the states take care of disasters, let the state take care of the tornadoes and the hurricanes and all of the other things that happen. And I think you’re going to find it a lot less expensive. You’ll do it for less than half, and you’re going to get a lot quicker response.”

Related Posts

The Medical Mystery That Left Three Doctors Speechless

In the quiet, wood-paneled waiting room of a prestigious medical clinic, an eighty-year-old woman sat with a posture that suggested a lifetime of unwavering dignity. Despite her…

The search for Raisa ends, after 2 months she was found all… See more

The pain of losing an entire family caused commotion among the population of Sidrolândia, located in the interior of the state of Mato Grosso do Sul, where…

HEARTBREAK AS FAMILY REVEALS THE DEVASTATING TRUTH BEHIND THE SUDDEN LOSS OF THEIR BEAUTIFUL 20 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER WHOSE RADIANT LIFE WAS CUT SHORT BY A SHOCKING UNEXPECTED ILLNESS

The world has become a significantly darker place this week as a family shares the devastating news that their beloved daughter has passed away at just 20…

‘Star Wars’ Star Passes Away at 84 Following Prolonged Illness

Richard Donat, the respected Canadian actor whose career spanned theatre, film, television, and voice work, has passed away at the age of 84 following a lengthy illness….

BREAKING: The Fire That Shouldn’t Exist

Just hours ago, a tremendous fire broke out in the heart of the city’s historic district—a place known more for quiet cafés and cobblestone streets than chaos….

THE TRAGIC LOSS OF A HOLLYWOOD ICON VALERIE PERRINE DIES AT 82 AFTER A HEARTBREAKING BRAVE BATTLE WITH PARKINSONS DISEASE LEAVING BEHIND A LEGACY OF GLAMOUR AND GRIT

The world of cinema feels a little dimmer today as news spreads that Valerie Perrine—the fearless actress and former Las Vegas showgirl who captivated audiences for decades—has…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *